Once I decided to use watercolors as my medium I visited several of my favorite art forums and blogs and assembled a list of materials to help me get started. I purchased watercolor paint in both half pan blocks and tubes since I didn’t know which product would work best for me. Here’s a peek at my shopping list:
- Cotman Watercolors by Windsor & Newton–#654 Turquoise, #538 Prussian Blue, #322 Indigo, #502 Permanent Rose, #095 Cadmium Red Hue, #089 Cadmium Orange, #118 Cadmium Yellow Pale Hue, #744 Yellow Ochre, #076 Burnt Umber, #731 Windsor Yellow Deep, #489 Permanent Magenta, #672 Ultrarmarine Violet, #379 Manganese Blue Hue, #637 Terre Verte, #311 Hooker’s Green, #447 Olive Green, #074 Burnt Sienna, #507 Pereylene Maroon, #554 Raw Umber, #465 Payne’s Gray, #217 Davy’s Grey, #331 Ivory Black, and #150 Chinese White
- Daler-Rowney FW acrylic ink in Burnt Umber, Evergreen, Olive, Black, and White
- Koh-i-nor ink nibs and holders
- Pigma micron 05 pens color set – 16 pens
- Derwent 6H drawing pencils
- Windsor & Newton Cotman Watercolor Round Series paint brushes in various sizes
- Windsor Newton water color art masking fluid
- Acquarello Watercolor Artistico Extra White 100% Cotton (Grana Satinada Hot Pressed) paper by Fabriano
- Aquarelle Fontenay 100% Cotton paper (Fine Grain, Cold Pressed) by Canson
- Ultra-slim Light Panel light box by porta-trace
I found some of these items at Michael’s craft stores, some at a Benjamin Moore Paint store that had an interesting artist’s loft upstairs with a small selection of art supplies (and a coffee bar), and the remaining items at www.DickBlick.com. All totaled, this was quite an investment. The final bill was well over $500.
2 thoughts on “My Shopping List”
Wow, that is quite an investment, but one that will pay off, I imagine, seeing the quality of the work you’ve done so far. Your supply list looks similar to Gennine Zlatkis’s list she posted on her blog. I look forward to seeing what you paint in the future.
It is similar to Geninne’s list. I’ve been a fan of her work for a long time. If you look closely at the photos of my home, you’ll see her paintings in every room of my house.